Tune in to hear Chris talking to Lyn Buckingham on Uckfield FM the last Thursday of every month at 11.30am.
Plan for spring. Maintenance jobs:
- remove leaves and either put in a bin liner with holes to store, or add to compost heap, or use as a mulch. Don’t pile up damp leaves or grass against neighbours wooden fence!
- add organic matter to soil, and add a mulch to retain moisture and help reduce weeds.
- order compost or soil improver.
- tidy patio, empty old pots, remove summer bedding.
- trim bushes.
- cover fruit trees with fleece.
- prepare veg plot.
- check guttering
- remove dead leaves from ponds and stop feeding fish.
Create veg boxes: plant up a 1m squared box for winter veg and place outside the door for easy access.
- Violas, Pansies, Scimia etc.
- Blackberries and Raspberries.
- take hardwood cuttings and plant small fruit trees
- veges: garlic, broad beans, peas, rhubarb
Check any bonfires for hedgehogs.
Think ahead to Christmas trees. What healthy signs to look out for:
- straight trunk
- good colour
- shake to check needle drop
- purchase rooted will keep it longer, especially if you want to plant out afterwards.
- leave outside as long as you can, then place in coolest part of the room. Add at least one pint of water per day to minimise needle drop. Good varieties: Larch and Norwegian Spruce.
- After festivities plant out in a shady spot.