Tune in to hear Chris talking to Lyn Buckingham on Uckfield FM the last Thursday of every month at 11.30am.
- Clear leaves
- Prune trees and clip hedges
- Prune Wisteria to encourage lateral growth
- Clean patio and decking of algae and moss
- Plan what to do in the coming months
- If you haven’t yet recycled your Christmas tree, remove the branches and use to make a pile in the garden for bugs and insects to hibernate in. Make a log pile for bumble bees and insects to help control pests.
- Winter pots – clear weeds, add new compost to revitalise and plant up new pots
- Plant Primula Vulgaris, Pansies, Violas, Winter Cyclamen, Snowdrops, Aconites and Heleborus Niger, all good for winter pots. Divide old plants to create more for free!
- Take hardwood cuttings to increase your stock.
- Add organic matter as a mulch around plants and to the vegetable plot to help improve the soil. Top dress plants with a mulch of bark chippings to help retain moisture and stop weeds.
- Hang up fat balls and bird feeders to encourage birds into your garden, which will in turn eat many pests.
- Keep gardening tools maintained.